And I start an article on the "Lies of the Cancer Cartel"
Let no disaster go to waste, instead propagandize it and profit from it.
So today I am going to start addressing some lies against the renewable energy field. Pro-nuclear trolls use these lies to create Fear Uncertainty and Doubt about renewables.
- Not everyone lives in Hawaii, where energy is a luxury and not a necessity. (Lie Maker moniker Michael Mann), this goes beyond just a lie to a condescending "happy camper" natives in their huts ramification.
- You have to cut down whole forests and kill trees if you want to do solar (Lie Maker Moniker greenthinker2012)
- If you use solar energy, you will be in the dark when the sun goes down
- There is no good way to store the energy from Renewables
- Solar panels take more energy to produce the panel than they produce in their lifetime
- Solar panels take up so much room that it is not realistic that they could ever provide any significant percentage of a modern industrial society
- Solar is expensive
- Producing Solar panels is so dirty, the whole concept becomes non-green
- Germany's solar push has been an expensive failure
- Large amounts of solar put the grid at risk and will create blackouts.
- Solyndra proves that solar is a scam
- If solar really made sense, wouldn't we have more than 1% solar
- Solar PV is not that efficient, therefore it doesnt make sense
- You must have expensive polluting batteries to run solar.
- We all should wait to do solar, until they have solar paint you can just put on your house.
- The grid is old, and therefore we cannot do solar until the grid is upgraded
- Subsidies for solar are huge, whereas subsidies for nuclear and oil are almost nothing.
- Your roof won't be able to support the "weight" of solar.
- If you have batteries, they need a lot of maintenance and ventilation and they can blow up
- Solar is not reliable
- You need to live somewhere that gets a lot of sun all year round
- Solar kills jobs overall, especially at nuclear power plants and fossil plants.
- Your roof must be less than 7 years old or you are crazy to install solar
- Solar is ugly
- The grid operator will have to raise costs a lot when many of their customers go solar and their fixed costs stay the same.
- Actual comment: another point you can mention is although most PV panels are guaranteed for 10 years most start to diminish after 5 and every year after that output is reduced by a further 10% and this is not covered as its not a structural issue. but apart from this there is little fault to find.
- You won't be able to use as much electricity as you used to use and will have to make compromises on your lifestyle
- Construction in the deserts is hurting lizards and wildlife.
- There is no practical way to store the solar energy for use when the sun don't shine.
- Solar and wind are dirtier than nuclear. (Lie Maker Moniker Codejack)
- Solar and wind CANNOT scale up to meet demand. (Lie Maker Moniker Codejack)
- Solar and wind would require storage which completely eliminates any benefits. (Lie Maker Moniker Codejack)
- Nuclear is safer than wind or solar. (Lie Maker Moniker Codejack)
dEBUNKING (looking for crowd source ideas to backup the debunk with links)
3) In 2000, solar panels needed 3 years of their own production to create themselves. Advances in manufacturing and efficeincy output now make that a little over 1 year. http://www.csudh.edu/oliver/smt310-handouts/solarpan/pvpayback.htm
15) Subsidies: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/the-imf-just-destroyed-the-best-argument-against-clean-energy-cm485094
19) (thanks Dud) You need to live somewhere that gets a lot of sun all year round
Quote of the European Space Agency: "Was new technology developed for Rosetta and can it be reused for other ESA missions?
The solar cells in Rosetta's solar panels are based on a completely new technology, so-called Low-intensity Low Temperature Cells. Thanks to them, Rosetta is the first space mission to journey beyond the main asteroid belt relying solely on solar cells for power generation. Previous deep-space missions used nuclear RTGs (Radio isotope thermal generators). The new solar cells allow Rosetta to operate over 800 million kilometres from the Sun, where levels of sunlight are only 4% those on Earth. The technology will be available for future deep-space flights, such as ESA’s upcoming Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer."
quoted from: http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Rosetta/Frequently_asked_questions
28) Only RTG's make exporation beyond Mars orbit possible. (debunked)20)
27) Practical energy storage: https://daryanenergyblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/27/loch-ness-monsters-of-energy-storage-2/